Tuesday, February 1, 2011

From Flake to Bake

            I know I am not the only one that has struggled with the paint on my smoker. If you have a wood burning smoker you know what I am talking about. You sand and wire brush the whole thing up get everything nice and clean and then you go out buy the rustoleum grill paint, spray it on and everything looks great. Three smokes later your paint if flaking off and you are back to square one. Well here is what I have done and it has saved me a LOT of time and money. Go to your local auto parts store and buy VHT header paint or any kind that has a silicon and or ceramic agent mixed in it. Most of the time you will have to bake this stuff on your smoker so I only use it on the firebox and the main chamber, the legs rack, etc I paint with normal grill paint. I use the heat of the smoker to bake the paint on. I have found that rustoleum flat grill paint and VHT flat black header paint is a perfect match.

            So next time you are looking to repaint your smoker do yourself the favor and buy a few cans of VHT header paint and use it on the hot surfaces and the crapoleum on the rest of the surfaces. Just make sure and get the surface sanded good and follow the baking/curing process to the best of your ability.


- From no to know
Nathan Conner

0 comments:

Post a Comment