Sunday, January 30, 2011

Rubs, mops and marinades

This is where the real secret is, in my opinion. My BBQ is all about the rub. I don’t marinade I don’t mop, I don’t let my meat sit for 12 hours with the rub on it, I just COVER the meat with my secret rub recipe and throw it on the smoker. Now I have tried mops marinades and letting my brisket or ribs sit with the rub on them for HOURS and HOURS before I smoked them and to be honest, I can’t tell a difference, the only difference I could MAYBE tell was leaving the rub on for 12 to 15 hours before putting it on the smoker, but it was soooo minuscule that its just not worth it to me. My thought has always been simplicity is king. I want my BBQ to be simple and amazing and quite honestly that is just what it is. I don’t waste time on techniques that don’t bring any value, and I hope to help those from falling for these worthless techniques. I am convinced that some of the books and articles I have read are people just trying to make BBQ sound more complicated than it really is. Good BBQ is so simple and so easy I was amazed that more people did not do it, but then I read all these techniques and theories that are utter Booshe that I now know why so many people get scared or get turned off by the amount of work. If you are on the fence let me just tell you, after reading this blog and following a few of my step-by-steps you will be surprised at how easy this stuff is. If you can keep your smoker at a set temp for extended periods of time you can cook BBQ.



        Why a rub? Like I said in my opinion a rub is easier and it works, so why change it. I use the same rub for everything, Ribs, Brisket, Chicken, etc most of the time your precious rub that people spend years perfecting turns into nothing more than a burnt crust that acts as a shield to help keep moisture in. Ribs and Chicken is about the only thing you will cook that your rub’s taste will really come through on. So with that being said I keep my rub like my BBQ simple. You have three elements to a rub salty, spicy, and sweet. The secret is the ability to COMPLETELY cover your meat with a rub yet your BBQ turn out not too salty, spicy, or sweet. So you need something to cut your rub with. The idea for my secret ingredient came to me as I was walking through the store, I was looking at spices and trying to come up with something to cut my rub with, then it hit me. Just like we covered in tip #1, when you smoke something you are baking, and what is a dry rub…a shake, and what is the number one ingredient in shake and bake….FLOUR! Now I use a whole wheat flour that gives my rub kind of a heartier taste and texture, but you could use whatever you want. I have yet to find ANY recipe online that calls for flour in the dry rub so I am convinced this is the BBQ communities best kept secret so don’t tell anyone I told you.


        Now I encourage you to use my rub as a baseline and tweak to your liking. If you like REALLY sweet BBQ add more brown sugar or if you like spicy cut some of the sugar out and add more heat, etc. As I stated before chicken and ribs is one of the few things the taste of your rub will REALLY come out in, so as you tweak the rub test it on chicken thighs or quarters or on ribs. Now keep in mind these items are some of the harder meats to cook so I would recommend if you are new to smoking just use the recipe as written and get a few smokes under your belt before you try tweaking the rub on chicken or ribs.


BBQ Rub
A BBQ Rub that works great on everything
Ingredients:

1cup
Brown sugar
1tbsp
Paprika
1tbsp
Black pepper
1tbsp
Seasoning salt
1tbsp
Garlic powder
1tbsp
Onion powder
1/4cup
3/4cup
White sugar
Whole wheat flour


Directions:
1.  Mix all ingredients in large mixing box
2.  Cover meat with rub before cooking or smoking; add during cooking process as desired.




- From no to know
Nathan Conner

0 comments:

Post a Comment